dimanche 29 août 2010

Matefaim: the first dish I learned to cook when I was a child

A simple meal if there is one, this is the very first dish I learned to cook when I was about 6.
My granny taught it to me, and I enjoyed it a lot with a little bit of tomato sauce on the side ( or even ketchup). You need:
  • 2 eggs
  • Flour
  • Oil ( I use olive oil, but I use it pretty much all the time because I am from Provence, feel free to try with your favorite)
  • Salt and pepper
  • A pan (small)
  • A very flat lid which matches the size of the pan.
Break the eggs in a bowl, just beat them with a fork until white and yolk are mixed, add up two /three spoons of flour, beat some more, add salt and pepper.
The mix must be homogeneous and thicker than the one for crêpes.

Heat on low heat a pan with a little oil in it, then pour on the eggs in it. After two or three minutes, check with a spatula if the edges are cooked and golden. If they are, make sure your matefaim is not sticking to the pan with your spatula.

Then take lid which must be the size of your pan, a lid which must be very flat.

Place the lid on the saucepan then turn it over, lid on the bottom and pan on the top,  to cook the other side of your matefaim. Put the pan back on the heat. put back the matefaim from the lid back to the pan.(the golden underside of the matefaim must now be visible, and the yet unccoked part directly on the pan bottom).

Finish to cook, the two sides must be golden brown.

The name "Matefaim" is derived from two French words: "mate", put down or subdue and "faim" hunger; so that this dish is supposed to make one feel full !
In some regions , the same dish is called "matafan", a small deformation of the name I use.

Variations:
My granny used to add some chopped tomatoes or red pepper to mix before cooking. I like it with some sweet corn grains.
You can add up about anything you want to the mix as long it is either already cooked, or cut into very small bits which will be cooked very quickly. Traditionally, it can't be meat or fish but veggies or even fruits for the sugar version.

In some regions, it is served as a dessert, it is then prepared with sugar instead of salt and pepper, and some cooked fruits are added to the mix ( like apples or pears).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire